Monday, December 15, 2008

Other uses for the iPhone

Ok, so now I know how to download apps, what else can I do with the iPhone? I was going through the different buttons on the iPhone home screen. At the bottom are 4 prominant buttons for Phone, Mail, Safari (browser) and iPod. I thought I would start there - Email and Phone functions.

Email
I clicked on the Mail icon and was taken to a screen where I was able to select my email carrier (Yahoo) put in my userid and password and - wala - email. Boy. I now no longer need to boot up the PC, open the web browser, put in the address, put in the user id and password. I just click on a button and there it is. I went back to the Mail icon and saw I could add another email account. I selected "other" and put in my Verizon information. It is so cool, because now I can see from my home screen if I have any email. Now, I just need to have the ability to put in my Ericsson email and I will be completely set.

Address Book Synch
The next thing was to set up my address book. I asked about synching with Outlook when I purchased my iPhone, and the AT&T rep said I could using iTunes. So, I connected my iPhone to my computer, I went into iTunes and found the button labled "Synch". I pressed it and received an error message that the synch application stopped working and I needed to close it. I Googled the error message, adn it seems that it was a popular subject for several folks. Luckily most of the issues I read about were with very early versions of iTunes and the original iPhone. I finally got to some more recent postings and the issue is either with Outlook plug-ins causing the issue, or using Chached Exchange Mode. The posting with about the Cached Exchange Mode included instructions on how to turn that off, and when I turned it off, my synch worked. Now I just need to go back and find out why this was selected in the first place. I remember it was recommended from out IT department. Oh well, I set the cached mode back to yes, and will just remove it when I need to synch again. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Bluetooth - Handsfree
It took me a bit to find out how to turn on the bluetooth. The structure on the iPhone is a bit more flat than the folder structures on the other phones I have had. I turned on the phone and was able to synch it with the handsfree system in my car. I was able to make and receive calls with no problems using the handsfree.

No comments:

Post a Comment