Tuesday, December 16, 2008

iPhone can be used to communicate

Today I had my first real experience using the iPhone as my only communication device. I had an early appointment with the eye doctor. I had to drop my son off at school on the way. The roads were icy and my husband was a bit concerned. I accidentally left my other mobile phone at home.

I dropped my son off and proceeded to the eye doctor. As I arrived at my scheduled appointment, I received a phone call from my husband checking the status of the roads and if I was ok. The call came in over the car's handsfree system.

As I proceeded through the eye appointment I received the news that I have very healthy eyes, and I can see well enough to pass a driver's test, but I could see a whole bunch better with glasses. Since I had some money left over in my health spending account, I thought I would go for it. The problem is there were so many choices in frames. I narrowed it down to two, and I just had to get a second opinion. I was able to easily figure out how to take a picture of myself and send it to my husband at home. I didn't need to do any configuration on the phone to do this. Now, the only thing is that I could only send as an email (no MMS), so I was lucky that my husband was near his computer to take a look. I also discovered one other user friendly advantage the SonyEricsson (and most other mobile phones) has over the iPhone when trying to take self portraits, which is that little silver mirror next to the camera lense so that you can make sure you have yourself centered in the picture.

So, now I am just waiting to see how much battery life my phone has with "normal" usage. I have resisted the urge to plug it in to see how long it will last. There is a neat usage meter that right now shows:

Time since last full charge
Usage: 4 Hours, 8 minutes
Standby: 1 Day, 3 Hours

The little battery is just about empty.

2 comments:

  1. yes, however turn off the 3G and you'll get wastly improved battery life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But then it would just be in iTouch with less memory! I guess I could make calls, but it is about the connected apps ;-)

    Actually, a day of standby and the 5 or so hours of usage is not that bad for me. I will just get into the habit of an overnight charging.

    ReplyDelete